Chocolate Cream Cheese Truffles
Happy New Year to you all! Anything is good if its made of Chocolate! Rich and decadent handmade Chocolate Cream Cheese Truffle makes an exquisite giveaway treat homemade for any day of the year.
A Chocolate Truffle is a type of Chocolate confectionery, traditionally made with a chocolate ganache centre coated in chocolate, cocoa powder or chopped toasted nuts (hazelnuts, almonds or coconut). Usually its in a spherical, conical, or curved shape. Did you know that chocolate truffles actually got their name from the classic, cocoa powder coating and not because they contain actual truffles?
These bite-sized round petite chocolate truffles are a delicious treat that is immensely enjoyable. Always thought truffles can be complicated to make and didn't attempt until I found a recipe with just two ingredients. For the first try this no bake recipe is insanely easy and irresistible. Be happy eat Chocolate!
Preparation time: 15 mins
Yields: 22-25 truffles
Recipe level: Easy
- Semi chocolate chips- 1 cup
- Cream Cheese - 4 oz (softened)
- Confectioners' sugar - 3/4 cup (powdered sugar)
- Vanilla extract - 1/4 teaspoon
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips - 1/2 cup
- Cocoa powder (Dutch process) - 1/4 cup
- Desiccated coconut - 1/4 cup
- Melt chocolate as directed below. I have used microwave method to melt the Chocolate for this recipe.
- Add the softened cream cheese and mix well.
- Once its incorporated throughly, add the vanilla extract and confectioners' sugar and mix again.
- Using a melon baller or small ice cream scooper or a teaspoon take small amount of this mixture and roll it with clean hands gently and place it on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Now is the time to roll the truffles in different topping, like cocoa powder, desiccated coconut, or even toasted chopped nuts. Refrigerate for about an hour.
- For a chocolate covered truffle, melt chocolate as directed using any of your favorite method. Gently dip each truffle one at a time in the melted chocolate using a clean dry fork and lift using the same to tap it twice on the side of the bowl to remove excess chocolate. Immediately place it carefully on the lined cookie sheet and refrigerate to set.
- After an hour serve to indulge or store in closed container refrigerated for 1-2 weeks.
Directions to melt chocolate:
- In a wide skillet with about an inch of water place it on a burner.
- In a heat proof bowl (stainless steel or tempered glass bowl) add the chocolate chips and place it on the skillet with water.
- Keep heat to low to avoid scotching and or water from splashing into the chocolate.
- Bring the water to a simmer and turn off the flame to allow the chocolate to melt.
Method 2 - Microwave
- Melt Chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl for about 50 seconds, stopping in between once to give it a good mix.
- Once the chocolate is 3/4 melted, stir with a rubber spatula for it to melt completely leaving a smooth and glossy chocolate.
Notes and Tips for Melting Chocolate:
- If using chocolate bar for baking, chop the chocolate into uniform pieces to ensure even melting.
- Make sure all equipments are completely dry, as moisture can cause chocolate to seize or stiffen.
- Always use rubber or silicone spatula to stir melting chocolate. Avoid wooden spatula as it leaves wooded smell spoiling the natural aroma of the chocolate.
- Always stir chocolate frequently during melting once the outer edges start to melt.
- Its very difficult to determine exact microwave timings as the microwave wattage, chocolate quantity and the cocoa butter content may vary. So its best to frequently keep checking by stirring the chocolate.
- Melt chocolate slowly in low heat as chocolate is very delicate and can become lumpy or grainy if overheated.