Lemon Ginger Vegetable Soup
Heart-warming, diet friendly, vegan, gluten-free and easy one pot soup. Flavorful, refreshing and nourishing with the right amount of spice and ingredients readily available in your pantry refrigerator.
Terrific way to include health-giving colourful fresh vegetables in your diet plan for a light dinner/ lunch or as an appetizer/ starter. This method of cooking is ideal to skip the store bought broth for less sodium consumption. Baby bella or Shiitake mushrooms adds more flavor, but it can be substituted with any mushroom of your choice (like Button, Oyster, Cremini, Paddy Straw, Enoki or Nameko).
More vibrant vegetable options are Snow peas, Bok choy, Broccoli, Lemongrass, Zucchini and Leeks. It's a great way to add more vitamins to your diet while you empty your vegetable box in your refrigerator.
For non-vegetarians, this soup is versatile and can be prepared with some boneless chicken chunks, preferably the white meat (chicken breast) for some protein. The soy sauce can be substituted with fish sauce.
This recipe is very simple and easy, in short if you know to boil water, you are good to go.
Click here to read Nada Manly's fantastic post about 7 etiquette tips you want to know for how to eat soup.
Sip your way to health!
Level: Very easy
Level: Very easy
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 5 g||7 %|
|Saturated Fat 0 g||0 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 0 mg||0 %|
|Sodium 374 mg||16 %|
|Potassium 231mg||7 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 23g||8 %|
|Dietary Fiber 3 g||12 %|
|Sugars 6 g|
|Protein 2 g||4 %|
|Vitamin A||34 %|
|Vitamin C||62 %|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
- Oil - 2 teaspoons (vegetable or olive oil)
- Baby Bella (tiny) -10 nos (if large cut into halves)
- Ginger - 3" (thinly rounded)
- Onion - 1/2 (1 " cubes)
- Carrots - 1/2 (sliced)
- Green Beans - 10 nos (ends trimmed)
- Celery - 1 stick (matchstick sized)
- Cherry Tomatoes - 10 nos
- Mini Bell Peppers (red, orange, yellow) - 1 each ( 1 " size)
- Tofu (firm) - 1/4 (cubed) (I missed)
- Cabbage - 1/4 cup (shredded)
- Coriander leaves with stem - few
- Soy sauce (or fish sauce optional) - 1 teaspoon
- Hot Chili Oil or Sriracha or Red Chili flakes - 1 teaspoon (increase as required)
- Lemon or Lime juice - 1.5 tablespoons (adjust to your taste)
- Salt to taste
- Basil (dried) - 1 teaspoon or few fresh basil leaves
- Water - 5 cups
1. Place a large pot on medium heat and drizzle with 2 teaspoons of oil.
2. Add the Mushrooms and saute for 2 minutes to release its flavor.
3. Pour the required water, and drop in ginger, onions, carrots, celery and salt. Let cook for 15 mins.4. Now add the beans, bell peppers, cherry tomatoes and tofu along with soy sauce, hot chilli oil and dried basil.
5. Once they come to a boil, add the lemon juice, cabbage and coriander leaves with tender stems. Give it a good stir and turn it heat off.
6. Fish out the ginger pieces and serve immediately.
NOTES AND TIPS
1. Notice I did not add all the vegetables together to retain the crunchiness.
2. Onions, carrots and celery set the base for any vegetable broth. Hence they are added 1st for the plain water to turn in flavorful vegetable broth.
3. I used dried Basil, if you have fresh basil handy, please feel lucky to use them for more fresh flavor.
Presentation : 5 stars. I love the asian way of it. What would you suggest for those who dont eat Mushrooms? This is better way of consuming all veggies and great for kids. This time even veggie cutting was presented nicely. Do you use Komatsu knife for your cutting? over all very good one, easy for us to do immediately, as all the ingredients are totally available. I am also thinking what would i use as alternative for ginger, as my daughter doesn't like ginger.ReplyDelete
lol! You may skip the Mushrooms Kiru, with a little compromise on the flavor. You may add any of your favorite veggies, include tofu as well. Ginger will not be overpowering as it's been fished out. If you opt out ginger, lemongrass is the best way to add more flavor , although it can taste different from this recipe (remember to adjust your lemon accordingly).Delete