Peda - Milk Sweet
Peda, a milk fudge is very popular North Indian sweet that is traditionally made with Khoya or Mawa. Ricotta cheese is an excellent substitute as its much quicker than evaporated milk method of cooking.
Although this recipe can be made with microwave, I chose to use the regular stove top cooking as i'm not a big fan of microwave. These varicolored Pedas are irresistible both to the eyes and tastebuds. This definitely is a good treat for kids as well and don't be surprised if they crave for more... Also note, this recipe can easily be adjusted to your taste with regards to the sugar level. Do give it a try to treat your near and dear ones and enjoy relishing as much as we do.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Yields: 20 nos
Recipe category: Sweet/ Desert
Recipe cuisine: Indian
Ricotta Cheese or Khoya or Mawa - 15 oz /425 gms
Milk Powder - 2 cups
Sugar 1/2 cup
Ghee/ Clarified butter - 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon
For Yellow/Saffron Peda:
Yellow food color - as desired
Saffron - 20 stigmas
Milk - 1 tablespoon
For Green/Pista Peda:
Pistachios - 20 nos
Milk - 1 tablespoon
Green food color - as desired
Pista essence - 1/4 teaspoon
For Brown/Chocolate Peda:
Cocoa powder - 1 + 1/2 tablespoons
Chocolate syrup - 1 tablespoon
- Heat a non-stick pan and add 1 tablespoon of ghee and the ricotta cheese stirring continuously in medium-low flame. The cheese will start to melt and turn soupy initially, but keep stirring for close to 10-15 minutes for all the water from the cheese to evaporate.
- When the water evaporates, it starts to thicken leaving the sides of the pan to form a ball of khoya as you keep stirring.
- Now add the sugar and milk powder to this khoya and mix just to incorporate well.
- Turn off the stove and you may divide it into 3 parts if you desire all the 3 varieties or chose as you wish. Set the two portions aside, leaving 1 in the pan itself.
- For a Saffron Peda, heat the milk and add saffron to soak in for 5 mins to release its flavor and color. Add the food color to the same and mix in 1 portion of khoya in the pan. Turn the flame to medium and stir continuously until it thickens for close to 5 to 10 minutes. Now its ready to shape into small lemon sized balls or disks and decorate with a saffron stigma.
- For Pista Peda, grind approximately 20 pistachios with milk to a smooth paste and add to 1 portion of Khoya with green food color and essence. In a heated pan stir until this mixture thickens. Its ready to be shaped and decorated with pistachios.
- Now for the last being Chocolate Peda, you don't have to get to the stove. Just add the cocoa powder and the chocolate syrup and knead it to a ball. Its time to shape and decorate with chocolate.
Viola! All the 3 different flavors are done. Hope you enjoy making and enjoying this tricolored milk sweet.
Notes and Tips:
- If you chose to use microwave method, you might have to keep stirring every 3 mins to avoid any burns, until you get the desired consistency.
- Check to see if you can make a ball out of the thicken Khoya, else keep stirring with medium-low heat until you get the right consistency or simply add some milk powder to it.
- If you chose Khoya or Mava the cooking time is relatively very less.
- You may apply some ghee to your palms while kneading the peda dough.
- To shape the pedas, I used some of my kitchen tools like wooded spatular's end, bottle cap, straw and even tooth prick. You may also use cookie cutter or simply make a handmade disk shape and use forks to make any desired design.