Crunchy appetizer made in a snap. This is a quick deep fry and would be perfect to treat yourself to feel special on any day.
"Popcorn Chicken" also known as "Salt and Pepper Chicken" originated from Taiwan. It is a street food with great influence from China and Japan. They have used Tapioca flour also known as Sweet potato flour. This is a slightly different variation made with lobster chunks that is flavorful, juicy and crispy on the outside is a perfect snack or an appetizer. Lobster has a firm texture and a sweet, mild yet distinctive flavor which is accentuated in this recipe. Vegetarians try tofu (firm), its awesome!
Preparation: 5 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Marinade time: 20 - 30 minutes
Category - Appetizer / snack
Level - Easy
Servings - 4
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 5 g||7 %|
|Saturated Fat 0 g||2 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 3g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 3 mg||1 %|
|Sodium 341 mg||14 %|
|Potassium 35 mg||1 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 17g||6 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0 g||1 %|
|Sugars 1 g|
|Protein 1 g||2 %|
|Vitamin A||3 %|
|Vitamin C||1 %|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Cooked lobster tail - 3 cups (chunks)
Cornstarch - 1 cup
Curry leaves - few
Cayenne pepper or Chilly powder - (Optional) few dashes
Hot and sweet dipping sauce - to serve
Oil for deep frying
Ginger and Garlic - 1 teaspoon (paste)
Soy sauce - 1 tablespoon
Oyster sauce - 1 tablespoon (optional)
Rice vinegar - 1 tablespoon
Pepper - 1/4 teaspoon
Salt to taste
Sesame oil- 1 teaspoon
Dried basil - 1/4 teaspoon (optional)
1. In a large bowl combine all the marinade ingredients and mix it well. Add the cooked lobster chunks and gently coat them well. Set aside for 20-30 mins.
2. In a pan heat oil in medium high. Coat the lobster chunks individually with cornstarch evenly. Shake the excess off.
3. Deep fry the lobsters in small batches, giving room to fry evenly until golden brown. It may take about a couple of minutes only to flip the lobsters. Put few fresh curry leaves or basil leaves for another 2 mins. Remove and drain the oil.
4. Sprinkle some cayenne pepper or chilly powder for some spicy kick. Serve immediately with hot and sweet sauce.
Tips and Notes:
- Fresh basil leaves is preferred over curry leaves as it adds a unique flavor and aroma to the popcorn. But since it was not readily available at home, I used curry leaves and added dried basil to the marinade for added flavor.
- Always remember to drain the water well before adding the marinade. You may even lie them on a paper towel to remove the excess moisture.
- You may substitute lobster with shrimp or chicken. If the marinade doesn't coat well, add an egg to the mixture before coating the meat in the corn starch.
- For vegetarians, firm tofu and paneer are good options.